Frequently asked questions have been categorised into the following topics (please click to view).
See Course FAQs here
- Rider ID envelope
Rider ID envelopes will be sent to you in the post in early October if you enter the event by Sunday 1 October. They include your bike bib, applicable wristbands (for Bicycle Queensland members or for early morning train services) as well as information on the ride.
If you enter the event from Monday 2 October you will need to collect your ride ID envelope from Bicycle Queensland in the days before the ride (times TBA) or from the start site on the morning of the ride.
Any merchandise you purchase during registration will be sent separately.
- Baggage Transfer / Cloakroom
A baggage transfer service will be available at the start site at South Bank (near the Wheel of Brisbane) for a $2 donation to our benefiting charity, the Heart Foundation. This service will be open from 4:30am. Reclaim your gear at the finish site from 10:00am-1:30pm.
Please note - there is no cloakroom at the 60km start site.
- Pre-event Transport: Trains
Two trains have been chartered to get you from the Gold Coast to the start site:
Train #1 departs Varsity Lakes at 3:59am (departs Coomera at 4.18am) and arrives at South Bank at 5am.
Train #2 departs Varsity Lakes at 4:41am (departs at Nerang 4.52am and Coomera 5.05am) and arrives South Brisbane at 6am.
- The event starts progressively from 5.15am. If you are planning to ride in the faster speed categories you should catch Train #1.
- Tickets are limited and must be pre-purchased with your entry or by phoning the Bicycle Queensland office on 07 3844 1144, prior to the close of entries.
- You will receive a specific wristband for entry to each of these services, which must be worn for entry to these services.
- Your bike travels with you on the train.
- Times are subject to change.
- Post-event Transport: Buses
For those who book a bus ticket in advance, head to the transport tent when you arrive at the finish site (Broadwater Parklands, Southport) to collect a ticket on the next available service.
The buses back to Brisbane (West End) will leave every half hour between 10:00am-1:00pm.
The shuttle bus to Nerang Railway Station will leave every half hour from 10:15am-1.15pm.
Bikes will travel in an accompanying truck. Riders are expected to help load their bikes and then unload at the other end. Tickets are limited and can be pre-purchased with your entry or by phoning the Bicycle Queensland office on 07 3844 1144 prior to the close of entries. You can also buy a ticket on the day - head to the transport tent when you arrive at the finish site.
- Start site: 100km, including times
The ride will start from Grey Street in South Brisbane. The start will be progressive with each speed category heading off at a different time. Approximate start times are as follows:
- Sponsors and VIPS - GREY bike bibs: 5:15am
- 30km/h+ riders - RED bike bibs: 5:15am
- 25-30km/h riders - ORANGE bike bibs: 5:30am
- Below 25km/h riders - BLUE bike bibs: 6:00am
- Women's riding group (camaraderie rather than speed) - PINK bike bibs: 6:10am
Riders can continue to approach the start site after the event has begun, however no riders will be allowed to enter the SE Busway after 6:20am sharp.
A map showing how each rider should access the start site can be found on the Info Sheets page.
- Start site: 60km, including times
The 60km ride will start from Olivers Sports Complex, Eagleby from 8am and immediately join the 100km route. For traffic management reasons the 60km start is not a mass start, so just head off when you are ready, starting from 8:00am, but no later than 8:20am. This site is also rest stop 1 for the 100km riders - please be mindful of this when approaching the site.
Please access the grounds via the eastern end River Hills Road only. Wagner Street will be closed to traffic. Enter the site from the cul-de-sac and playground (closest street reference: Schmidt Road, Sueinnes Street). From here you follow the bike path into the park where you will see the 100km riders.
Please consider catching a train to Beenleigh. It is a short ride from Beenleigh Train Station to Olivers Sports Complex.
Please see the Info Sheets page for the 60km Info Sheet.
- Course cut-off times
Riders must be able to maintain an overall average speed of 17km per hour. Approximate course cut-off times are as follows:
- Busway Entrance (South Brisbane) - 6.20am (0.1km)
- Busway Exit (Rochedale) - 7.30am (16.7km)
- Rest Stop 1 (Logan) - 9.45am (40.1km)
- Rest Stop 2 (Coomera) - 12.30pm (79km)
- Finish Site (Broadwater Parklands, Southport) - 1.30pm (100km)
The SAG wagon (sweep bus) will follow the last rider. If you have not made the above cut off times you will be asked to board the SAG wagon to be driven to the next location to continue the ride. If you do not wish to board the bus then you will be required to hand your rider bib to the bus driver as you no longer will be part of the event and will not be supported in any way. This is a requirement of the Queensland Police Service and Bicycle Queensland.
- Finish Site (100km and 60km)
The ride finishes at the Broadwater Parklands, Marine Parade (Gold Coast Hwy) in Southport on the Gold Coast. It is just near the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre and opposite Australia Fair Shopping Centre.
There is no minimum fundraising requirement for people to participate in the ride. Riders can choose to make a one-off donation during the registration process or create an Everyday Hero fundraising page once they've entered the event. The Heart Foundation is the official event beneficiary.
Please note that entry in to this event does not include Bicycle Queensland membership, and so does not automatically include insurance coverage. We recommend that all event participants either take out Bicycle Queensland membership, or hold their own bicycle riders insurance and private health insurace. Bicycle Queensland members get personal injury and third-party liability insurance. This means if you damage yourself, someone else or their property while out riding anywhere in Australia or New Zealand – including on the Brisbane to Gold Coast Challenge – then as a member you're covered (conditions apply). Check out www.bq.org.au/join for a list of benefits or call us on 07 3844 1144 for more information.
The following points are from the event Terms & Conditions (available via the Info Sheets page):
- Children not pedalling, but being carried by a parent or guardian do not need to enter or pay a fee, but will not receive a rider kit or merchandise. Riding in a trailer or child seat is permitted.
- Children under 14 at the time of the Event must not pilot their own bike. Riding on a tandem rear or tagalong is permitted.
- Persons under 16 at the time of the Event may pilot their own bike, but must be accompanied by an adult guardian at all times.
- Please see the Info Sheets page for full pre and post-ride transport information.
Drive in and pay to park at South Bank 24 hour undercover parking at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre. Visit their website for details, including rates: http://www.bcec.com.au/index.php/car-parking
Parking is also available at South Bank: http://www.visitsouthbank.com.au/parking
Please also refer to the Brisbane City Council website if you're planning to park on the street: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/parking-permits
Please note there is no parking at the Broadwater Parklands finish site itself but there is City of Gold Coast parking spaces on surrounding streets and along the Gold Coast Highway. Please refer to City Parking – http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/thegoldcoast/city-parking-942.html#.Ul3jAdLdd8E - for parking meter information and be sure to check signage before parking. No parking is allowed on grassed areas.